Sunday, July 5, 2009

Happy 4th of July!

Another jam packed day, but how fun! First, we had a doctors appointment at 8am. My levels are looking GREAT and they think that I am responding better to the meds than the last time! Woo-hoo! Eggs, eggs, and more eggs!!

Once we left the doctors office, we came home to get ready. My mother-in-law called my husband and told us that she was bringing pound cake and brownies. Thank goodness... no more cupcakes... We stopped by the hospital and my grandmother was NOT doing well at all, in fact, the doctor told us to basically prepare the family. We thought about not attending the festivities this afternoon, but she had a miraculous turnaround and is, at least, now stable. We left the hospital, and headed for Thomas. So, growing up we always attended the Norman 4th of July fireworks. Sure, I always saw fireworks stands on the outskirts of town, but never went. Typically the people in our town that were at the firework stands were the drunk hillbillies looking to "blow somethin' up." Actually, let me clarify... sometimes my dad would go and buy some sparklers, but I had no idea that they sold REAL fireworks until I met my husband. Small towns do not have the big, spectacular show, so they have to get fireworks. So, all my city girls, you would DIE when you see what you can buy at a fireworks stand!!!! For a very reasonable cost, you can buy fireworks like you see at Reeves! I am dead serious! We stopped at a stand in El Reno, and I was like a little kid. It was pathetic. I am sure the fireworks guy was not prepared for me! I love the smoke bombs, so I bought a ton and had his cousins shot them off. I am sure they were thrilled...

Once we got to Thomas, the show began. Between, us, Aunt Kimmy, and his uncle Luck, fireworks started at 5 and did not end until 10. It was INSANE! I will have to admit that by about 9:30, I started to get a little tired. Plus, the humidity outside was almost intolerable at times. My husband has been researching a sparkler bomb. He made one last night and the thing malfunctioned, and shot off to the side like a comet nearly setting the field on fire! It was the biggest ball of fire I have ever seen! The fireworks were so fun, even my husband's grandmother got in on it! The cutest thing ever was his cousin Nate and his little girlfriend, Rhianna. They were precious. I think that they are 5. It was hilarious. That is what I am thankful for today, being able to see the innocence in children, it is priceless!

The song that got us through the night is, "Looking For You" by Kirk Franklin. Our friend Jimmy, introduced us to Kirk and we love that song. Since we were driving back to the hospital last night (which we didn't leave until 2:30am) we needed a little pep in our step and that does the trick!~ Amy

1 comment:

  1. love you and grandma looking for patriotic. hope it was a happy 4th!

    ReplyDelete